This Fein Multimaster TOP Review will explain the pros and cons of this powerful concrete saw, which has managed to worm its way into the toolkits of professional users and DIY users alike over the past few years. This is, in part, down to the fact that it is an incredibly versatile tool. This is so much more than a product that cuts concrete. It is an essential product, which can accomplish a number of different tasks. If you are looking for the perfect addition to your toolkit, this is it!
- Motor: 350 Watts
- Weight: 1,4kg
- Oscillations: 10,000 to 19,500 rpm. (If you are cutting concrete, you want it on the lower side to avoid putting the blade under too much pressure.
Fein, a German power tool manufacturer, has been in the business for over one hundred years. In the vast majority of countries their multi-tools, including the Fein Multimaster TOP, are very popular products. This is because nobody really does what they do better. However once you start to dive into the range of products that they on offer, you will be surprised at how much there is to choose from. They offer everything from magnetic drills to angle grinders (also great for cutting concrete) and sanders. They may not be popular products in comparison to the DeWalt and Makita of this world, but there is one thing that you can be sure of when you get a Fein product; it is going to be of an incredibly high quality. In fact, it is likely to be one of the best power tools you have ever purchased.
On this page we are going to focus on the most popular power tool in their range; the Fein Multimaster TOP.
The Fein Multimaster boasts a plethora of different features, but we are just going to cover a few of the main benefits here – just so you know what you are getting yourself into when you purchase this multitool for concrete cutting:
- Anti-vibration technology: As you will discover pretty soon, there are a number of other similar tools on the market at the moment. The vast majority of these are cheaper than the Fein Multimaster TOP. Perhaps one of the reasons for this is that the companies have put together a pretty basic model without much research in order to capitalize on the popularity of this type of tool. This is where the Fein Multimaster is different. Fein have put a lot of effort into ensuring that vibration in the product is reduced. This makes it far easier to control during those detailed jobs, and it feels far more comfortable in your hand. It is a true joy to use.
- Electronic speed setting: Concrete is pretty tough to cut through. As you plunge the saw into the concrete, or at least attempt to, it is likely that the machine will slow down, which makes it a whole lot less effective. This is not an issue with the TOP. It boasts electronic speed control. This means that even under heavy loads, it maintains a constant speed. There is no noticeable speed drop as you cut into the concrete. This feature ultimately makes it a lot more effective at cutting.
- 350W motor: This is a lot of power. In fact some of the larger, albeit cheaper, concrete saws do not have this much power behind the blade. Remember, the blade on the Fein Multimaster TOP is tiny (it is for detail work only).
- Metal gearbox: Concrete cutting is going to put a lot of strain on the unit. One of the downsides of cheaper units on the market is the fact that they often use sub-par gearboxes. These gearboxes, whilst performing well at the start, will eventually have their gears start to sheer. This means that the tool will just stop working. This Fein model does not suffer from that problem. It can be put under incredibly heavy loads, and you will find that it is very tough to break. Yes it is more expensive than other units on the market, but you will save money in the long run due to it needing to be repaired far less.
- Versatile: As you know by now, this tool is not just for concrete cutting. In my opinion, just as a detailed concrete cutter, it is a little bit too expensive. However, if you are going to be doing anything else with it (e.g. cutting wood, tiles, removing grout, cutting floorboards, or even sanding), then this is going to be a worthwhile addition to your tool collection. In fact, the Fein can perform the job of a number of other power tools. It may seem expensive from the outside, but once you discover how versatile it is, you will realize that it represents absolutely fantastic value for money.
For a good while the Fein Multimaster TOP was the only product of its type on the market. However a few years ago, the design patent expired. As a result, a plethora of similar multi-tools have been released onto the market. Perhaps the most popular of these tools come from Bosch, but there are a few cost effective models too.
Now I am not going to lie here, this product is not cheap in comparison to the other products. However, you are getting real value for money with the Fein Multimaster TOP. Not only are the attachments of a far superior quality, but the machine is fantastic to use too. Remember, Fein have had a century to put together a high-quality and ergonomic machine. The other manufacturers have had only a few years, and they are still trying to find their feet in this industry.
Using your Fein Multimaster TOP is going to be incredibly simple too. In the past, it was incredibly tough to change the blade on the Multimaster. In fact, it took ages. Fein took note of the problems that customers were having with the unit. Now, it is all a quick-change system, so you can have that blade switched over in seconds. After that it is just a case of flicking the ‘on’ button, and you will be able to cut your concrete. There is a speed adjustment dial on the side, which you can use as you see fit. Many of the cheaper units on the market do not have these features (i.e. the quick change), which can make them a bit tougher to use.
When it comes to the pros of the Fein Multimaster TOP, it is tough to know where to start. There are so many of them to choose from. We are, of course, going to focus on the benefits of cutting through concrete and stone with this.
As mentioned previously, the motor in this machine is fairly substantial for such a tiny blade. This means that you should be able to cut through the toughest piece of concrete with ease. If you really have a lot to cut through, or your concrete is fairly tough, then it is suggested that you buy the diamond blade that Fein offers. It just makes things a bit easier, and the blade lasts an incredibly long time.
One of my favorite features of the TOP, and something other reviewers seem to highlight as well, is the fact that you can add all manner of accessories to it. For example if you only wish to cut a certain distance into the concrete, perhaps because you are placing cabling or something similar to that, then you will get a ton of use out of the depth gauge. The fence and rail guide will also ensure that you keep a straight cut. In addition to this, you are also able to buy an accessory, which enables you to bench-mount your Fein. This is ideal for cutting through stone tile and the like or just cutting through those bigger slabs of concrete with ease.
Perhaps the biggest con with the Fein Multimaster TOP is the cost of the accessories. If you are looking to cut through only concrete, then you will be paying a considerable sum. That being said, the Fein Multimaster blades will slice through concrete like it is butter. If you really can’t afford to buy tons of blades, then you will be pleased to know that Bosch produces an attachment, which will convert the Fein Multimaster TOP to work with some of the Bosch blades. These blades are considerably cheaper, although slightly lower in quality.
Another downside, although I am hesitant to call this a con because you know exactly what you are letting yourself in for when it comes to the Fein, is the fact that it is not going to cut through huge slabs of concrete. This product is more for detailed work. If you are looking to cut up tons and tons of concrete, you are going to want to look for a dedicated concrete saw. This is one that you are only really going to want to purchase if you know that you are going to be performing other tasks with it including the removal of grout and carving of wood
One thing that I really hope Fein works on in the future is the running temperature of the multi-tool. It is not uncommon for it to get a little bit hot during extended periods of use. Although you are going to be putting it under a lot of strain when cutting through something as strong as concrete, so this is something which is to be expected. The only real solution as of now is to just take a break ever so often. You are not going to burn your hand if you continue to use it, but the heat is going to be a little bit uncomfortable.
This is a very good product. When it comes to concrete cutting, you are going to be limited to detail work. For many people, this is fine. After all, we aren’t all going around cutting up huge slabs of concrete. Along with concrete this multitool can cut many other things and would be great for small tile work also. If you are taking the corner off of a step or something similar to that, then this is a must buy. You aren’t going to get anything better. In fact, the Fein Multimaster TOP is one of the best concrete saws on the market.
The real strength of the Fein Multimaster TOP is the fact that it is able to so many more jobs than just concrete cutting. It does all of this fairly well too and that, in my opinion, makes it absolutely fantastic value for money. Whether you are a trade user or a DIY user, you are not going to be disappointed in the Fein. It is going to be a terrific addition to your tool collection. You will get a lot of use out of it. If you’re looking for more than just a concrete saw, please review our article on types of saws.